Thursday, March 3, 2011

Schoolgirl Talitha's future being sacrificed to politics


You might be wondering what this chicks picture is doing here especially since the title of the blog is "Schoolgirl Talitha's future being sacrificed to politics"? This picture got this fine lass in a world of trouble at school as they deemed that it brought the school into disrepute. More after the jump:


Hoër Meisieskool Bloemhof claimed that pictures of Talitha Jonkers posted on her Facebook profile brought the school into disrepute. The pictures were taken for her modelling portfolio last year.




 
But Talitha's mother - single mother of four Chantelle Relker - refused to accept the expulsion and appealed. When she failed, she dragged the school and Western Cape education MEC Donald Grant to court.

The case, in which allegations of racism were made, has been used as a political football in the province ahead of the local government elections.

"On November 15, I was called to [the] school by the principal, Wilna van Heerden, who said I should put Talitha into a coloured school," Relker alleged.






Besides posting pictures on Facebook, other charges levelled against Talitha were intimidation and victimising another child.

Said Talitha: "They didn't elaborate on the charges, but as I understand I was apparently guilty of making fun of a girl's big tooth. I didn't do that! It was also said that I was jealous of her long hair."

Teachers, other witnesses, the principal and the head girl attended her disciplinary hearing.




 
"That is when we heard for the first time that they took exception to the Facebook photographs. This is because she lists Hoër Meisieskool Bloemhof as her school. I have no problems with the pictures. There are young models who pose naked. I am very proud of my daughter and she did nothing wrong," said Relker.

Mother and daughter claim they were not given the chance to state their case and Talitha was expelled

On Friday, the case was settled in the Cape Town High Court. Acting Judge Anton Katz set aside the expulsion, ordering that the governing body start a case against her again if they wanted to.



  
Governing body chairman Erhard Wolf said in a statement that the school had decided to "offer to pay part of the legal costs" that her family incurred.

Talitha and her mother said they were harassed and endured racial abuse. But she vowed to put on a brave face at school today.

"I want to prove to them that I will pass matric and I will pass it well. I have a disadvantage because I missed out so much. I even tried to commit suicide - but it isn't worth it. I will not let that get me down," she said.

Carol Beerwinkel of the ANC blasted education MEC Donald Grant, saying he "should be fired for the heavy-handed treatment this young girl received". Beerwinkel said her party "will take the matter further".





But Grant hit back, saying Beerwinkel and her party "seem determined to abuse the future of a young learner in order to score the cheapest of political points".

What the school has managed to do is boost this chicks modelling career cause everyone knows who she is now and if she ever had trouble booking a gig now she's soughted. Well done you tits!

BCM

timeslive

No comments:

Post a Comment