Monday, October 18, 2010

I'm a happy glamper!


A true glamper

So recently I had friends of mine seriously propose we go on a camping trip as a “bonding experience” and “to get away from it all!” My response: a cold stare of disbelief. Personally, I fail to understand why some people find it difficult to clear their minds in a comfortable and luxurious suite at the Michael Angelo! Modesty aside, one can describe me something of a glamper (a glamorous camper) which is to say I’d know how to look smashing in the bushes 200km away from the hustle and bustle of the city and a nail bar!


So clearly, there are two kinds of people: those who love camping, “enjoying a good potjie and swimming in the river” as highlighted by my dear friend and then there’re people who don’t. Forgive me if I’m not excited by the thought of sleeping on a 20year old mattress that has, at some point, been used by your aunt, her husband, and an uncle whose related to you through your second cousin’s marriage to his sister’s son! Forgive me. For me, the mere mention of trekking for kilometres on end and being sucked on by leeches and mosquitoes is an acute form of torture.




But, whether I like it or not camping is on the list of frugal pastimes that have come back in trend thanks to the recession that made an uncouth return. According to an article published on CNN.com/travel, when the world is forced to tighten its belt, a holiday bundu bashing under the night sky doesn’t seem such a bad idea.

Before long we'll break out and sing "Khumbaya"
That being said:

1.       Given my current state of finances,

2.       The onset of glamping,

3.       The vast choice of bug repellents on the market,

4.       The close proximity of the country’s finest game parks and

5.       The staggering beauty that stretches from one corner of the country to the other,

I’m seriously pressed to think of a reason not to roll up the canvas and set off with my boys!!


This though I'm not looking forward to!


Let there be style...

Jane Doe

No comments:

Post a Comment