Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Devil in a new dress - UJ Spring Day Bash Doornfontein


There are certain things which always surprise the crap out of me, for instance we checked out the UJ Spring Day Bash in Doornfontien and I mean it’s never a bad thing to mingle with young people on occasion but I always find myself in awe.

When I look at young folk one can’t help but feel nostalgic about my hey day at varsity, I can remember it like it was yesterday rocking my dreadlocks, bootleg jean etc and boy was I the shit! We used to go buck wild with my crew in varsity, you couldn’t tell us to slow down. I look at these young kids and I start to wonder what they started putting in the milk after 1990, why do I ask what they put in the milk is because the young ones seem to have more energy and less morals that we did, I’d like to think that we were a little bit more respectable and rather reserved when it came to breaking it down on the dance floor and how we got along.

Jozi Chave tearing up the decks
I’m not going to lie but the way the young ones are shaking it on the dance floor is so damn provocative I can’t help but stare/perv.  Maybe its something that comes with the elation of being a young person, I keep referring to young people as if I’m a dinosaur my damn self and that’s not necessarily true. A part of me longs to be that carefree where you’re only worry is assignments, tests, exams and the occasional pregnancy scare.


Ayoyo!


I don’t think that people start feeling that their old based on their age but rather on the amount of  responsibility they’ve managed to garner in their lives. Hell! I still feel like a 17 year old inside but when I face my reality I realise that I’m not seventeen and a nigga needs to start acting his age, I can’t afford to make uninformed decisions regarding  any sphere of my life cause the repercussions are mine and mine alone now, no mommy to help clean my mess or daddy to call to bail me out of a tight spot.


Tumelo serenading the crowd wit his mellow sounds


Reading the quote “Youth is wasted on the young” I always found myself perplexed, I just thought some bitter old sod came up with that since he never really enjoyed his own youth and was filled with regret as to all he things he could have done but I realise that he wasn’t filed with regret but rather a sense of understanding that had he had had more time thinking like an adult whilst he was still young he could have achieved a whole lot more with the energy , vigour and gusto that comes with being young.





Blah Blah Blah, I’ve always had a mantra in life...Stop complaining and find a solution.


DJ Bawa on the decks


My solution is to accept that I can not change the amount of responsibility I have in my relic of a life because it’s not like I can change it. Over and above acceptance I now realise that my dear old mother was right, in order to keep your life exciting always be in a relationship with someone who is at least 5 years younger than you. I figure Instead of criticising their world and how they live I should rather peer into the type of life their living and stop judging, the best way to understand something in my knowledge is to start doing some research, guess I need to find someone preferably a young lady between the ages of 18 and 20 so I can also stay relevant within these changing times.




BTW You’ll never catch me dead in skinny jeans!



Neigh...Thoroughbred
  BCM

No comments:

Post a Comment